Announcement

No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Magnus Exorcismus] and "AoE Dmg"/"AoE Skil Dmg"

Okay, let's get down to business and get some more visibility and opinions regarding this matter.

I've been playing the [Magnus Exorcismus] priest build ever since I started playing this game and have worked through its quirks and nuances.
    Despite its downfall from popularity among the priest builds, I've stayed on and pursue this build to further refine it as the game goes.

But the thing that I can never ever settle is the fact that [Magnus Exorcismus]'s damage is never affected by the stat [AoE Magic Dmg] (given by Staff of Element Fusion, God's Gaze, etc.) despite it being an "AoE Magic" itself.

So let's get some definitions clear before we go further (all these are in the context of ROM)...
    • Magnus Exorcismus
      • "Form a cross-shaped zone specified areas, Undead and devil monsters in this zone will suffer [xxx]% Holy M.Dmg; the skill takes effect [xxx] times, the damage takes effect every 1.5 seconds"
      • This is one of the few offensive priest skills on our arsenal
    • AoE Dmg / AoE Skill Dmg
      • Area of Effect Damage, when expanded
      • this is damage dealt by any MAGIC skill on a ground-targeted area OR the area around the caster's target

So what now?
    Obviously, [Magnus Exorcismus] fits the criteria for "AoE Dmg"
    But then you may argue this...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	SoEF.png Views:	7 Size:	72.4 KB ID:	743
    It clearly says, "AoE skills include: Storm Gust, Lord of Vermilion, Sightrasher, and Heaven's Drive"!
    But no, those aren't the only skills that are affected by "AoE Dmg"!
    Other skills are, just to name a few:
    1. Meteor Storm (Wizard Aesir Rune)
    2. Earth Strain (Warlock skill)
    3. Sand Storm (Arcane Master)

Okay, there are other skills affected but obviously those are all skills from the Mage branch aren't they?
    Also look at the description for the Oracle Extract.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	SoEFExtract.png Views:	5 Size:	33.5 KB ID:	744
    It clearly says, "Mage's AoE Skill Dmg" so obviously it should only affect skills from the Mage Branch, right?
    Again, no, it's not restricted to just Mage Branch Skills.
    Here are some examples:
    1. Thunderbolt (Super Novice)
    2. Dark Shadow Slaughter (Saint)
    3. Catnip Meteor (Doram)

Okay, okay...
    Let me list all known skills that are affected by "AoE Dmg" then:
    I'm gonna exclude collab classes as those are quirky and I don't have access to them anyway
    Also not including Ninjas yet, haven't tested them much either but they also have skills affected by AoE dmg for sure
    • Wizard branch
      • Fire Ball
      • Meteor Storm
      • Storm Gust
      • Lord of Vermilion
      • Heaven's Drive
      • Sightrasher
      • Earth Strain
      • Comet Crash
      • Wind Blade Adjudication
      • Quicksand Vortex
      • Sand Storm
      • Lightning Meteor
    • Sage branch
      • Earthquake
      • Diamond Dust
      • Earth Grave
      • Blackhole
      • Mental Blast
    • Priest branch
      • Dark Shadow Slaughter
    • Super Novice branch
      • Storm Gust
      • Soul Blast
      • Heaven's Drive
      • Thunderbolt
      • Lightning Meteor
    • Doram branch
      • Catnip Meteor

So looking at all those skills, what is it that makes [Magnus Exorcismus] so different that it's not affected by "AoE Dmg"?
    Yes, we have [Dark Shadow Slaughter] now that's affected by it which seems to me just an after-thought since it's from 4th job skill.
    Also, it has a different scenario that it works on.
    Is it just because it is a Priest skill?
    A job that many sees only to be played as support/slave?

You can also notice that even single-targeted skills with splash effect are included on the list (eg. Fire Ball)
    so this case should also apply to two other Priest skills: [Jud] and [Adoramus (breakthrough)] both of which are single-targeted with splash .

Here's some evidence that [Magnus Exorcismus] is unaffected:

Gears used in the experiment:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	gear.png Views:	5 Size:	172.6 KB ID:	745
    Reason for using SoEF and Croce Staff is the equivalent M.Atk values at Tier 0
    I used Rideword card to compensate for the INT+5 from Croce Staff
    No other gears were equipped during the test to further remove any other factors
    Last edited by cremisi; 03-23-2021, 11:40 PM.

-- cremisi of Sanctuary --

No AoE Dmg test (equipped Croce Staff only)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	croceTest.png Views:	0 Size:	368.7 KB ID:	747
    Click image for larger version  Name:	noAoeDmg.png Views:	0 Size:	262.6 KB ID:	748

With AoE Dmg test (equipped SoEF with Rideword card to compensate for INT+5)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	soefTest.png Views:	0 Size:	373.2 KB ID:	749
    Click image for larger version  Name:	withAoeDmg.png Views:	0 Size:	275.1 KB ID:	750

So what say you, my fellow priests?
    Is it time for [Magnus Exorcismus] (and to an extent, Jud and Adoramus too) to finally be affected by "AoE Dmg"?
    Is it time that we finally have a better use case to even use our guild's [God's Gaze]?
    Also for future content that may even add more "AoE Dmg", will we have the right to use those as well?

Click image for larger version  Name:	blobApocalypse.png Views:	0 Size:	53.3 KB ID:	751
    Last edited by cremisi; 03-23-2021, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I never thought about that because I mostly use ME to farm, but it's a fair question. However, wouldn't Nemesis/Synth be your best choice in this context? I know it's not the issue here, but to me it falls flat since we do have a weapon designated for that skill
      @Gulag (Leader), since 2019
      IGN: Patrine & Patrinete
      Discord: Patrine#6325

Comment

Yes, given the current content, Nemesis and its synth is still the BiS weapon.
        But weapon is not the only source of "AoE Dmg" hence this issue.

Other known sources, as of now:
        • God's Gaze
        • Oracle Extract of Staff of Element Fusion
        • a random buff in Palace of Beauty

Future content may also add more sources (such as cards, relics, etc) and would be very nice if we can also use it.

Comment

Finally a detailed experiment. Is there a rune for ME?

Comment

Yep, i also experience it, my main class is nogu (magic) then i'm multi to priest (for +vit and farm without sp) and testing magnus using unlimited, but like what you say, but fyi soul blast is single target, but spread (like CL or SW) it didnt work with unlimited

Comment

I don't particularly use ME to farm anymore since Amatsu patch hits (was it Episode 2.5?).

In any case, I believe ME should be given the AoE damage boost treatment from SOEF as it is a form of AoE skill after all, and opens up another farming (or to a certain extent, a PvP/GvG build)

Comment

Nice post from Cremisi!

Mind share whats the ME build now to farm at Eclage dungeons?

Comment

Nice post!
                  Justice for ME now!
                  ~Priest is love, Priest is life~

Comment

Working...
                  X